- Are you interested in architecture and urban planning?
- Would you like to spend a long weekend in the Netherlands?
- Can you ride a bicycle?
- Did you miss out on last year’s Dutch trip?
Following on from the success of the 2014 RTPI Centenary to the Netherlands, RTPI London would like to draw your attention to 2015’s Dutch Cycling Tour. This is being organised by the Academy of Urbanism and follows a broadly similar itinerary to the 2014 expedition.
- Thursday 28 May: Travel to Harwich by rail. 23:00 crossing from Harwich to Hook of Holland (arrival 08:00)
- Friday 29 May: Cycle to Utrecht, via Gouda (85km). Experience the quality of Dutch intercity cycle routes, see the countryside, have lunch in the historic city of Gouda.
- Saturday 30 May: (morning): Tour of Utrecht (2015 Grand Depart city)by Herbert Tiemens. Cycle to Amsterdam after lunch (43km)
- Sunday 31 May: Day off in Amsterdam. Take a tour of Amsterdam’s historic architecture and its ultra-cool contemporary buildings. Sip Heineken in a mediæval square, take a trip on the canals or simply relax.
- Monday 1 June: Cycle back to Hook of Holland and catch 22:00 ferry to Harwich (arrival 06:30)
- Tuesday 2 June: Arrive in London around 08:30 – just in time for work!
This schedule is designed to minimise the amount of annual leave required – a four-day cycling holiday/study tour can take place with only two days of holiday. It also allows a healthy balance between travelling and sightseeing.
A full list of FAQs is provided on the Academy of Urbanism website. The most salient point to make is that this is not an endurance trial!!! It is designed as an eye-opening trip to experience a country which has produced an incredible range of outstanding urbanism and the happiest children in the world.
Significant others welcome!
Photos from the 2014 trip: